Makalu Base Camp Trek, Makalu Trek This trek takes up deep into the eastern Himalayas, providing some of Nepal's most unseen and amazing scenery.
From Tumlingtar by walking north, up the Arun river, Sedwa and Num, crossing Shipton La (4127m) into upper Barun Khola valley for a close look at Makalu(8475 m) and chamlang (7290 m). The trek to Makalu base camp visits one of the most remote and unfrequented areas of Nepal. The Barun Valley is part of huge international protected area under an agreement between China and Nepal. The Makalu Barun National Park was established in 1992 as Nepal’s eight National Parks.
The park of 2330sq.km. is bordered by the Arun River in the east and the Sagarmatha National Park in the west. Barun Valley is a sanctuary for wild animals such as wolves, lynx, fox and the elusive snow leopard. Our descent into the pine and rhododendron forest from the Barun Valley takes us past the lower Barun Glacier and into the Makalu basin and to Tumlingtar to catch the flight back to Kathmandu.
Day 1: Arrival Kathmandu, transfer to hotel
Day 2: Sight-seeing of Kathmandu: Leave for full day sightseeing in Kathmandu valley includes the Hindu temple complex at Pashupatinath (a UNESCO World Heritage Site) & the biggest Buddhist Stupa at Boudhanath. Also visit Monkey Temple the Swyambhunath (2000 years old temple) and visit Patan city of fine arts. Back to hotel and stay.
Day 3: Kathmandu – Khandbari - After flying out Tumlingtar we walk north to Khandbari. The trail crosses a plateau (45 minutes) then climbs gradually for about 3 hours. We camp above the village on large grassy fields.
Day 4: Khandbari – Num - We walk through many small picturesque villages; occasionally on steep trails for 3 hours to reach Goure Chichira is 3 hours further. We need to work still uphill.
Day 5: Chichira - Num - The morning starts with wonderful views of Makalu and the surrounding snowcapped peaks. The path an ancient trading route, after a few up and down, descends through forest to Num.
Day 6: Num – Navagoan - We descend steeply to the suspension bridge across the Arun River. It is a 2 hour ascent to Kerabari. We then continue upwards for Naragoan (Shidda).
Day 7: Navagoan – Tashigoan - Ascending through forest we pass the picturesque Sherpa village of Tashigoan, the last village en route to the camp.
Day 8: Tashigoan – Khonpma - We climb out of the forest to the grazing area of Khonpma, we have a packed lunch because of the lack of the water in between Tashigoan and Khonpma.
Day 9: Khonpma – Mumbuk - Above Khonpma we occasionally walk on snow (depending on the season) to Changse Danda. Two hours further on is Magar Chanse Danda. Makalu and the surrounding Himalaya are spectacular. We camp just over the Barun pass.
Day 10: Mumbuk – Nehekharka - Starting early we take about an hour to cross some landslides. 4 hours further on over the higher plains is Nahekharka
Day 11: Nehekharka – Mera - After crossing the wooden bridge over the Barun River we trek beside the river on grasslands to Mera. The mountain peaks here are inspiring overnight camp.
Day 12: Mera, Makalu Base Camp - We pass a small glacier with spectacular alpine scenery before reaching the base camp.
Day 13: Explore around.
Day 14: Khongma, camp
Day 15: Seduwa, camp
Day 16: Chichela, camp
Day 17: Tumlingtar, camp
Day 18: Flight : Tumlingtar - Ktm , hotel
Day 19: Ktm free day, hotel
Day 20: Final departure, transfer to airport.
In the Above Cost It Includes:
1. Airport Pick-up and Drop Off,
2. Licensed and trained trekking guides,
3. potters for carrying goods and supplies,
4. 4 Nights Accommodation in the 3 Star Hotel in Kathmandu with B & B. (Bed
5. All accommodation during the trek.
6. All meals and hot beverages during the trek.
7. Transportation to and from trail head.
8. All necessary documents and permits for trekking (where applicable)
9. National Park/Conservation Area entry Permit, Equipment such as tents And Mattresses, Cooking Equipment, Camp site charges, Insurance, and
equipment for the staffs.
10. Coordination of quick Rescue service (Costs covered by your Insurance Plan)
11. Trekking staffs wages etc.
12. 1 hr. trekker massage after your trek.
Services and Cost Does not Included in Price:
1. International Airfares,
2. Travel/Trekking Insurance,
3. Excess baggage charges More than 16kg and hand bag more than 5 kg in
4. Visa fees.
5. Airport Departure Taxes.
6. Drinks (Cold and Alcoholic) Rescue charge.
7. Tips for The staffs.
8. Expenses of Personnel nature and Permit and Liaison officer fee (where Applicable.
9. Meals during stay in the Kathmandu.
10. Domestic Ticket Etc.